Spring always brings a bit of happiness to our days. The birds are chirping, things are greening, the windows get opened, and it all feels like it’s going to be ok. Of course as Spring comes rolling in, so does the cloudy days, rainy weather, and not so warm temperatures.
In our house this means getting the kiddo outside for the day is sometimes hit or miss. This year I decided to go on the search for some fun crafts that I can turn into opportunities to teach.
Let’s face it, we can only watch so many Disney+ documentaries on animals before we start sounding like the narrators in our day to day life.
Spring Crafts For Rainy Days
I like to reserve crafts for days where it’s a bit colder or rainy out. This helps keep the kiddo entertained and it gives us something to do. It allows us to break up the screen time while also letting me and him learn some educational facts about what we are creating.
Making Them Educational
In order to make the crafts more educational I’ve included some information about each of the selected crafts that you can share with your kid. I’ll be including links to the crafts and additional educational sources under each craft.
Spring Kids Crafts
Let’s get started with a few different craft ideas below. Remember to save these for a rainy day or a day where it’s just a bit chilly. Also, you can likely theme an entire day around each craft by incorporating books, documentaries, play time activities, and discussions on what your kids have learned about the topic.
Coffee Filter Butterflies
- 12 Fun Facts About Butterflies – My Favorite fact: “Butterflies can see colors that humans can’t.”
- Life Stages Of Butterflies – There are four life stages before a butterfly becomes a butterfly.
- The Largest Butterfly – The wingspan can be as much as 11 inches.
- How To Protect Butterflies – Small things we can do to help the butterflies.
Cherry Blossom Craft
- 16 Fun Facts About Cherry Blossom Trees – The Cherry Blossom Capital is not in Japan or Washington D.C.
- What Is Hanami? – A picnic under Cherry Blossom trees sounds divine.
- The History Of The Cherry Blossom Festival – Did you know Mrs. Eliza Ruhamah Scidmore was the first woman to suggest planting Cherry Blossoms and it was Mrs. Taft who made that happen?
Finger Paint Snapdragon Flowers
- The History Of Snapdragons – Thomas Jefferson grew snapdragons in his garden in the late 1700s.
- Fun Facts About Snapdragons – Hybrid snapdragons have only been around since the 1950’s.
Bunny Art With Chalk Pastels
- Fun Facts About Bunnies – I did not know that bunnies can be extremely affectionate and even come when called.
- Breeds Of Bunnies – There are over 50 different breeds of bunnies.
Easter Chick Fork Painting
- Fun Facts About Chickens – The chicken was the first bird to have its genome sequenced.
- Breeds Of Chickens – There are over 100 breeds of chickens.
No Sew Sock Bunnies
- What Bunnies Eat – Bunnies teeth grow continuously and need to be worn down by eating the correct type of foods.
- Difference Between Wild Rabbits and Feral Rabbits – Wild Rabbits are those cute cottontails we see in our backyards or eating our flowers.
Rainbow Popsicle Stick Birdhouses
- What Different Types Of Birds Eat – Robins are the only birds that eat worms and finches will eat eggs.
- What Birds Want Out Of A Bird House – Choosing the right spot for your birdhouse is crucial.
Colorful Q-Tip Dragonfly Craft
- Fun Facts About Dragonflies – Dragonflies have been around for 300 million years. Prehistoric dragonflies had a wingspan of 2 ½ feet.
- Types of Dragonflies – There are about 5000 species of dragonflies.
Shaving Cream Marbled Paper Easter Eggs
- The History Of Easter Eggs – All the different ways Easter eggs have shown up in history.
Spinning 3D Hot Air Balloon Craft
- Fun Facts About Hot Air Balloons – Zhuge Liang adapted the hot air balloon mechanism to send messages to supporting troops in case his army was surrounded.
Coffee Filter Art Flowers
- All About The Color Wheel – Primary colors, secondary colors, and tertiary colors explained.
Baby Bird Nest Craft
- Birds Nests – Bald eagle nests can weigh more than 3 tons.
Rainbow Paper Dahlia Flowers
- Interesting Facts About Dahlia Flowers – The tubers on Dahlias are edible.
- Different Types Of Dahlia Flowers – There are thousands of varieties of dahlias.
Fluffy Chick Craft
- How Chickens Care For Their Young – Mother hens do not feed their babies the same way other bird species do.
Construction Paper Frog Craft
- Fun Facts About Frogs – Frogs can leap more than 20 times their body length.
- Frog Species – Different species of frogs can be found in most climates except for Antarctica.
Fun Spring Crafts For Kids
Be it a rainy day, a bit too chilly, or your kids are stuck in the house for the day, pull out your craft bin for these fun crafts. The fun educational facts you can share with them might just spur them into watching a related documentary or going to check out a book at the library.
If you are still staying away from public places make sure to get the Libby App. You can enter your library card number and check out digital copies of all sorts of books.
Which craft are you most excited to do with your kids? Let me know in the comments below. Follow me on Pinterest for more like this and pin this to your favorite kids activities boards.