When Fall hits I start craving all sorts of baked goods, but there is one baked good in particular that I absolutely love. That’s my husband’s Oatmeal Apple Crisp. One of our first dates included this crisp and let me just say, the way to my heart is through Apple Crisp evidently.
There is only one ingredient that I have to actively keep stock of because the only time I use it is in this crisp. That’s apple pie filling. Because when I make actual Apple pie I make it from scratch. However, the quick and easy apple crisp is better with canned pie filling than with from scratch.
The rest of the ingredients are typically already in your home which is part of what makes this dessert so easy to make.
This recipe is also customizable to your taste. Use more cinnamon, less sugar, sugar substitute, more or less oats. Whatever your tastes and desires are, this recipe can be adapted.
The nice thing about this recipe is that it’s so simple to make you can have it ready for almost any small get together with friends or family. It pretty much replaces coffee cake as a delicious snack for having coffee with your friends.
Apple Oatmeal Crisp
You can use any pie filling you want with this so go ahead and try them all. I personally love blueberry pie filling and my husband really likes cherry. Apple is a crowd pleaser so make sure to give that a try too.
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon split in two
- 2 cans (20 oz) pie filling of your choice, in this case apple.
- 1 cup butter softened
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Grease the bottom of a 9×9, 10×10, or 9×13 – if you want a thinner crisp – glass baking dish.
- Mix sugar, oats, flour, ½ tbs of cinnamon and butter in a large mixing bowl until well mixed and crumbly. Layer about ⅔ of the dough across the bottom of the glass dish leaving some for the top of the crisp. Press that layer down to form a solid bottom.
- In a separate mixing bowl mix canned pie filling and remaining ½ tbsp of cinnamon. Spread the filling across the first crisp layer.
- Add the remaining dough in crumbles over the top of the pie filling. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool a bit before serving.
Oatmeal Crisps With Pie Filling
The purpose of this dish is to be simple and easy to make. Mix it up, change it up, or try something different to make it more to your taste.
I like to have a few quick and easy desserts in my arsenal in case a sweet tooth craving strikes which is what makes this recipe so perfect. If you have your own pie filling recipe you want to use instead of a canned pie filling, have at it.
This is also good, still warm with a bit of ice cream. If you prefer your crisp warm you can heat pieces up for 15-20 seconds in the microwave the next day too.
Have you tried this apple crisp? Let me know in the comments what you did differently so I can try it too. Follow me on Pinterest for more like this and pin this to your favorite dessert boards.