We love pizza in this house, we don’t love the cost of pizza. After I finally figured out this amazing Easy Pizza Dough recipe I knew pizza was going to become a regular meal in our house. The first one I made was this Italian sausage, green pepper and onion pizza. It was delicious.
Now, I’m still playing around with different pizza recipes but something I do when thinking about different toppings to use on pizza is plan out the next meal with it.
Plan Ahead With Your Toppings
While my recipe below will likely give you just enough toppings for 1 or 2 pizzas I actually doubled the meat and veggies so I could use the leftovers on a sweet potato breakfast bake.
When you are planning out and cooking your toppings, consider what you might use those same toppings for on another meal. For instance taco toppings on a pizza could give you tacos the next night or you can make tacos one night and use the leftovers on a pizza the next day.
The best thing you can do to make your life a little easier is plan for leftovers and plan out how you will use them. You cook once and you get maybe 3 meals out of it.
My Quick Pizza Dough
This recipe calls for my quick pizza dough which is super easy to make and takes 20 minutes to whip up in a stand mixer. That includes time for the dough to rest.
My pizza dough makes enough for 1 pizza between 12’’ and 16’’ in diameter. The smaller the pizza the thicker your crust will be. I happen to have 12’’ pans so that’s what I make.
You can find my quick and easy pizza dough recipe here.
By far I loved our pizza stone before it was broken. We currently have these metal pizza pans and they work pretty well. Once we move into a more permanent location I will likely end up getting a pizza stone again.
Sausage, Pepper, and Onion Pizza
This pizza was delicious and filling. It immediately jumped to the top of the list in pizzas my husband loved.
- 1 Recipe Quick Pizza Dough
- ½ lbs ground Italian Sausage
- ½ Onion diced
- ½ Green pepper diced
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Pizza Sauce of Choice
- Put ground italian sausage, diced onions, and diced green peppers in a skillet and cook over medium high heat until meat is cooked through with no pink.
- Preheat your oven to 450F. Whip up and spread out the Quick and Easy Pizza Dough on your pan.
- Top with pizza sauce of your choice. We used canned pizza sauce but any pizza sauce will work. Use as much or as little as your family likes. You can also use a white sauce or garlic sauce.
- Add a bit of shredded mozzarella cheese over the top of the sauce then add your meat and veggies. Add more mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is gold with brown spots, and bubbly.
Homemade pizza, in my opinion, is better than most pizza you get from delivery. This was a delicious blend for us and it was super filling.
Check out my Sweet Potato Breakfast Bake to see what I did with the leftover toppings from this pizza.
What are your favorite pizza toppings? Let me know in the comments below. Follow me on Pinterest for more like this and pin this to your favorite dinner boards.