If you are anything like me you likely cook more than you need for any given dish and sometimes have leftovers you need to use. That is how this Sweet Potato Breakfast Bake was made.
I had made this Sausage, Pepper, and Onion pizza one night and realized I had loads of leftover meat and veggies to use up. As I stood at my stove looking at the meat and veggies I came up with an idea for dinner the next night.
By dicing up a sweet potato, adding these leftovers, baking it with cheese on top and adding scrambled eggs I had an excellent breakfast bake that we will likely make again in the future.
Additionally, because I made this using up leftovers it took no time to whip up. Outside of the prep work and making scrambled eggs, the total hands on time was maybe 5 minutes. Baking it took about 20 minutes. So in 30 minutes I had a delicious meal that my family loved.
Now if you are making this from scratch your hands on time will likely rise to 15-20 minutes but you will still only use about 30 minutes to make this because you’ll be doing several things at once.
As a busy mom I don’t always have the time to cook every single meal. So I have a tendency to cook larger portions so I can feed my family for a couple of days.
Cooking up ingredients for a pizza leaves you with leftover toppings that can be used for casseroles, wraps, or on it’s own with a side of mashed potatoes. It’s filling and delicious while lowering your food waste potential.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Bake
This recipe will easily feed six people so if you have a large family it’s perfect. We just wrapped up the rest for additional leftovers. I do recommend making the scrambled eggs fresh per serving though the bake itself is good on it’s own if you are eating it as a leftover.
- 1 large sweet potato diced
- ½ onion diced
- ½ green pepper diced
- ½ lbs Italian Sausage
- Mozzerella Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- 2 Scrambled Eggs per serving
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Dice your sweet potato into small pieces, put them in a 9×13 pan, and coat with olive oil. Sprinkle seasoning to taste and bake for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes start to soften.
- While your sweet potato bakes and softens, you can cook your Italian sausage, green pepper, and onion in a skillet until the meat is no longer pink. If you want to you can remove excess grease at this time.
- Add the meat and veggies to your sweet potatoes and mix. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Scramble your eggs and then place approximately two scrambled eggs over each serving.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
I love using Sweet Potatoes in bakes like this. It’s delicious, filling, and has loads of great vitamins. I personally love the blend of the sweet and savory in one dish.
Also this dish gives us enough leftovers that we can eat it for lunch for two days. Using leftovers in creating a casserole or a new dish is a great way to give you a different taste.
Do you use leftovers from one meal to create a totally different meal? Let me know in the comments below. Follow us on Pinterest for more like this and pin this to your favorite breakfast boards.