When I finally figured out how to make mac and cheese in my Instant Pot I was absolutely thrilled. I was even more thrilled when my son who only eats chicken nuggets and waffles ate two servings of this instant pot mac and cheese.
I will say this recipe calls for a bit of patience. 9 time out of 10 the reason why a mac and cheese recipe in an instant pot doesn’t work is because people don’t take enough time to melt the cheese to a sauce like consistency.
Instant Pot Mac And Cheese
I personally use pre-shredded cheeses because I like to save time though I am positive fresh shredded cheese will work just fine too.
I use a mix of a 4 cheese blend and mozzarella, I usually try to use at least two different cheeses because it gives it a really nice flavor. So if you have a sharp cheddar mix it with a creamy swiss, gouda, or mozzarella.
Another popular variant is to use 4 oz of cream cheese mixed with a cup of sharp cheddar. This makes for a great super creamy sauce that clings to the noodles. The trick with using cream cheese though is you do not need to use as much milk.
When it comes to adding milk make sure you do it slowly by adding ¼ to ½ a cup at a time. You want to pour the milk in and then stir until it’s incorporated into the cheese and noodles.
Add too much milk and you will end up with runny sauce, not enough and there will be loads of stretchy cheese. I find it best to add a little bit of milk, then stir for a minute or so before adding more milk.
Related Post: 22 Delicious Instant Pot Dinners.
- 1 Box Macaroni Noodles
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese of Choice (I use a 4 cheese blend and mozzarella)
- 1 – 1 ½ Cups Milk
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- Pour full box of macaroni into Instant Pot and add water. Manual high pressure cook for 5 minutes. Then quick release.
- Once all pressure is released remove lid and stir noodles. Switch Instant Pot to saute.
- Add butter and stir till melted.
- Add salt, pepper, and paprika and stir.
- Add cheese and milk ¼ – ½ cup at a time till cheese is melted and sauce like, this takes about 10 minutes. Make sure you are giving this step some patience and time to work.
- If after a minute or two the cheese still has stretch add more milk. If sauce becomes too runny add a little more cheese.
Mac and Cheese In The Instant Pot
Instant pot mac and cheese is easy to make, delicious, and perfect comfort food. Serve it as a side dish, use it as a casserole with chicken and bacon, or just eat it on it’s own. You can pop it in a pan and add toasted breadcrumbs and extra cheese for a baked traditional taste too.
Do you serve mac and cheese on it’s own or as a side dish? Let me know in the comments below. Follow me on Pinterest for more like this and pin this to your favorite dinner or side dish boards.
- Instant Pot Spaghetti With Meat Sauce
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Pepper Chili
- 22 Delicious Instant Pot Dinners