Last week I had a taste for pork carnita tacos. There is one big problem with this. I live in Central Pennsylvania. The closest thing we have to Mexican food is Qdoba, which is not Mexican food.
Growing up in the west suburbs of Chicago I always had access to decent Mexican food. So when I left Illinois and lived in Ohio and now Pennsylvania I was in for a bit of a shock in the lack of ethnic cuisine. I long for a decent steak burrito, fajitas, and actual tacos.
I started working on creating my own dishes based on what I think might work just to maybe help with my cravings. Of course not having an amazing abuela to teach me any of this, I have to guess and it’s bound to be wrong. Except sometimes in the wrongness of my creation it tastes really freaking good.
So here is what I am calling Gringo Pork Carnita Street Tacos.
Ingredients For Pork Carnita Tacos:
- 3 lbs pork loin or pork shoulder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple juice or orange juice
- Garlic Powder to taste
- Cilantro to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 8 oz Green Taco Sauce
- Onion Powder to taste
- 2 packets of taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Street soft taco shells
- 4 Cheese Mexican Blend (unless you can get Anejo.)
- Red or Green Salsa
Directions For Pork Carnita Tacos:
- Place pork loin in the crockpot with chicken broth, apple juice or orange juice, garlic, cilantro, black pepper, salt, and onion powder. Pour half green taco sauce onto meat in crock pot.
- Cook on high for 6 hours.
- Pull out pork and remove strings if needed. Shred pork with two forks until it’s thin pieces of meat.
- Add two packets of taco seasoning mixing between each one. Add ½ cup to 1 cup of chicken broth to the pork and mix. You don’t want extra juice but you want to moisten the piece.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Spread olive oil on cookie sheet and use a paper towel to coat the sheet. Spread meat onto cookie sheet and place in oven. Pour more green taco sauce over meat.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until pieces of meat start browning and getting crispy.
- Assemble tacos according to taste.
I know this is not authentic but these tacos were pretty darn good. My husband and I both ate 5 each. I call this meal a success.
What do you think of gringo pork carnita street tacos? Let me know in the comments below. Follow me on Pinterest for more like this and pin this to your favorite dinner boards.
- 20 + Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes
- 20 Best Crock Pot Desserts
- 22 Delicious Instant Pot Dinners
- 33 Of The Best Grill Recipes To Rock Your Tastebuds