DISCLOSURE: This post most likely has affiliate links. If you like reading legal jargon my disclosure policy is here.
With the cooler weather we have been eating up hot sandwiches and soups like crazy. One they are easy to make, are filling, and are amazing comfort food. One of our current favorites is this Turkey Bacon Grilled Cheese.
The turkey bacon grilled cheese is amazing and can be customized based on your preferences. The simple way includes sliced deli turkey, bacon, and provolone cheese. You can easily add avocado, guacamole, tomato, lettuce, or grilled onion to take the sandwich to a whole new level.
If you are looking for an easy lunch or filling dinner that pleases your whole family this is the sandwich for you.
Normally my husband and I are big grilled ham and cheese people. In an effort to eat healthier, and due to amazing sales prices at our local amish market, we have been eating more turkey. Cold weather has switched us from cold sandwiches to hot and we’ve been making them at lunch time every day.
They make a great dinner or an easy lunch and even our toddler didn’t mind them. My mother in law thought they were a perfect compliment to soup. If it passes the toddler and mother in law test you know it’s a good meal right?
Related Post: Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Bar
A favorite dinner option for my family is the sandwich bar. We set up ingredients for grilled gourmet sandwiches and everyone can pick what they want. It takes a little time for cooking but you will most likely have leftovers that make good subs and cold sandwich leftovers for lunch the next day.
You have one person on grilling duties, one person on prep, and everyone can put together their own sandwich. You’d be surprised what your family will come up with. Add some potato salad or chips to the meal and everyone is happy.
Fresh ingredients you can offer with the sandwich bar are, lettuce, onion, green pepper, avocado, guacamole, and even apple. Some of you are thinking I’ve lost my mind but the apple paired with provolone, turkey, and bacon is a fantastic touch of flavor to this sandwich.
Turkey Bacon Grilled Cheese
Let’s dive into making our turkey bacon grilled cheese sandwich. Remember this sandwich is extremely customizable to your families desires. So cook the bacon how you want, use what breads and cheeses you prefer, and don’t be afraid to add to it.
- 4-6 slices of bacon
- 4-6 slices of deli turkey
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 4 slices of Italian bread
- Softened Unsalted Butter
- Cook the bacon in a large frying pan. We cook ours till it has a slight crisp to it and is a red brown color. Once cooked remove bacon from pan and remove the fat. Give the pan a slight rinse with water and heat till dry again.
- Add sliced turkey to frying pan and heat. You may only have 2 slices at a time flat in the pan. Flip slices once to heat both sides then gather to slices to the side of the pan to keep warm. You can warm the slices or you can brown them depending on what you and your family prefer. I prefer browning my turkey my husband prefers it just warmed.
- Butter one side of the bread and place it butter side down in pan. Layer ingredients, cheese first, bacon, turkey, fresh ingredients, turkey, and top with cheese. Top with second slice of bread butter side up.
- Cook in pan on medium-high heat until bread turns golden. Slice it down the center and serve.
Soup and Sandwich Pairing
This sandwich goes extremely well with soup. While I’m partial to a Chicken Noodle, a hearty vegetable or cream based soup will work well too. Likewise, tomato soup is always a fantastic option with this sandwich too.
I do want to try this sandwich with my stuffed cabbage soup at some point though. I believe the tomato and beef base with the cabbage flavor will be a nice compliment to the turkey and bacon.
If you plan on serving a soup with your sandwich, I recommend serving half a sandwich with soup to prevent over stuffing. While it may not be the healthiest sandwich with the right portion sizes you can have a well balanced meal.
Another option is a hearty chili pairing, especially if you add apples to your sandwich. The sweet and salty of the sandwich will pair nice with the spice in a pepper chili. Just make sure you are serving the chili in a cup and not a whole bowl. That’s a lot of heartiness for one meal.
Related Post: Easy Instant Pot Pepper Chili.
If you aren’t keen on adding apples to your turkey bacon grilled cheese sandwich try serving up an apple cobbler or pie as dessert. You still get the flavor pairing without freaking out your family by putting apples on a sandwich.
What fresh ingredients would you add to this sandwich? Let me know in the comments below. Follow me on Pinterest for more like this and make sure you pin this to your sandwich recipe boards.
- 21 Gourmet Grilled Cheese Recipes
- 101+ Avocado Recipes That Aren’t Toast
- 20 Gourmet Sandwiches Perfect For Lunch
- 10 Best Salads For Summer